A:Thank you for showing me your offices, Mr. Becker. I can see why Washington bureaucrats enjoy their jobs.
贝克先生,谢谢你带我参观你们的办公室。我能看出为什么华盛顿政府人员会喜欢他们的工作。
B:Why do you say that?
你为什么这么说呢?
A:The city is beautiful, the off ..., the offices are modern and comfortable, and the work is so interesting.
城市很漂亮,办……,办公室既现代化又舒适,而且工作又是这么有趣。
B:Many people work for the federal government their entire adult lives. Government service can be a rewarding and secure career.
许多人的成年生活都在联邦政府度过。政府部门的工作可以很有回报,很有保障。
A:Do you mean financially rewarding?
你是说经济回报吗?
B:Well, many positions pay salaries that are comparable to those in private industries.
很多工作付的薪水和那些在私人企业工作的能媲美。
A:I've always thought that most bureaucrats are lazy.
我一直以为多数政府人员很懒惰。
B:Sometimes that's true, but not usually. Most feds are honest, hard-working professionals. It’s hard to keep highly trained people, so the pay and working conditions have to be attractive.
有时候是真的,但不是通常这样。大部分联邦官员都很专业,诚实又努力工作。很难留住这些受过高水平培训的人,所以工资和工作环境必须要具有吸引力。
A:How much do you make?
你赚多少钱?
B:I'm a GS-15. That's high on the scale of workers, but even a GS-1 is paid a living wage.
我是GS-15。在员工当中,算是高的,但是连GS – 1 的人,起码的生活薪水还是有的。