171. I know how it works 我知道规矩
这里的work不是指“工作”,而是指“事物运作的道理与规范”,类似于行规的概念:
A:I am afraid we are going to have to fire you. 我恐怕我们得开除你。
B:It’s OK. I know how it works. You just don’t like me.
没关系,我知道行规。你就是看不惯我。
Work 也有“运作”的意思:
A:Can you work a couple of basketball tickets for us?
你能帮我们弄几张篮球票来吗?
B:I’ll see what I can do. 我来想想办法。
172. Give away. 送掉
Give away这个短语看起来很简单,不过它有很多常用的意思,对话中所用的give away是指“赠送”:
A:Why did you give your bicycle away? 你为什么把你的自行车送掉了?
B:It’s too old. I want to get a new one anyway. 它太旧了。反正我要换新的。
Give away 也可以指“泄露(秘密)”:
A:I’m not talking to you about movies anymore. You always give away the endings!
我再也不跟你聊电影了。你每次都把结局透漏出来。
B:I’m sorry. I can’t stop myself. 很抱歉,我就是忍不住。
Give away这个短语,也常用在婚礼之时,就是当父亲牵着女儿的手,领着她出门的时候:
A:I love it when the father gives the bride away.
我最爱看当父亲领着新娘出门的那一刻。
B:Not me. The part of the wedding always makes me cry.
我可不。婚礼的那一幕总会让我哭。
173. Mean business 玩真的
Mean business 是表示“当真、玩真的”,没有儿戏的成份在内,一心一意地去达成某件事,未必和“生意”business有关:
A:I still can’t believe Mary got into college. 我还是不敢相信玛莉考上大学了。
B:Well, she meant business this time. 恩,她这次是玩真的。
Mean business 也可以表示为了某种目的而来:
A:Why are the police outside? 警察怎么会在这里?
B:They mean business. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have come here.
他们来办事。要不然他们不会来的。