135. Make a difference 造成差别
Make a difference 是指会对现有的情况造成差别,跟以往不同。
A:I know you need some financial help. If I give you a raise, will it help?
我知道你需要一些经济支援。若我给你加薪会有帮助吗?
B:Well, it will certainly make a difference. 呃,这将会大有帮助。
Make a difference 也可以指对于现状有所不满,希望未来能使大环境产生变化。
A:What do you want to do with your job? 你这一生要做什么?
B:I want to be a nurse so that I can make a difference. 我要当护士让自己力挽狂澜。
136. Read someone like an open book 看穿某人的心思
A:You and Sara seem to make a good couple. 你和萨拉真是天生一对。
B:Yeah. She reads me like an open book. 对啊。她能看穿我的心思。
137. Paint the town red 尽情享受夜生活
A:What are you going to do in New York? 你在纽约要干吗?
B:Paint the town red, of course! 夜夜笙歌,这还用问!
138. How ya doing? 你好!(最常用的一句问候语)
其中ya=you。完整的句子应该是“how are you doing?”,“are”在这里被省略了。回答通常为:“I am doing fine.”也可以说“Good”or“Great”。
A:Hi, Frank. How nice to bump into you. How ya doing? 嗨,弗兰克。遇见你真高兴。你好吗?
B:I’m doing fine. Thank you! How about you? 我很好,谢谢你!你怎么样?
A:Good. Thanks! 我很好。谢谢!
139. You bet!哪里,140. 别客气
该句是对“thank you.”的随便的、非正式的回答。不能按字面直译为“你打赌”。
A:Gosh. I just forget about my zip code. Can you tell me what it is by looking at this address?
呀!我忘记邮政编码了。你能、帮我查看一下吗?
B:With pleasure. Oh, here it is. It’s 11032. 很乐意为你效劳。哦,在这儿,是11032。
A:Thanks a lot. 太谢谢你了。
B:You bet. But you’d better make a note of it. 别客气。但你最好记一下。