A:Ok, so who are we going to invite to our dinner party?
好了,那么我们打算邀请谁来参加我们的宴会?
B:Well, we have the Thompsons, the Greens, and the Andersons, about twelve people total.
唔,我们将邀请托马斯一家,格雷一家,安德森一家,大约一共有12个人。
A:Don't forget my friend Andy from the office. He has nothing to do on Friday, so I invited him over.
不要忘了我办公室的朋友安迪。星期五他无事可做,所以我邀请了他过来。
B:But that makes thirteen people! We can't have thirteen people for dinner on Friday!
但是那样就有13个人!星期五我们不能有13个人吃饭!
A:Why can't we?
为什么不能?
B:It's an old superstition. If we have thirteen people at the table, then it means bad luck. Can Andy bring a date?
这是个老迷信。如果我们在饭桌上有13个人,那就意味着运气不好。安迪能带他女朋友来吗?
A:I'm not sure. He just broke up with his girlfriend recently, and I don't think he's in the mood to start again so soon.
我不知道。他最近才和他女朋友分手,我想他没有心情这么快又找一个。
B:But we can't have thirteen for dinner!
但我们不能有13个人吃饭!
A:I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. It's only a superstition. It really doesn't mean anything.
我想你是在把问题弄大。这只是个迷信,没有任何实际意义。
B:Absolutely not! I refuse to have thirteen people for dinner on Friday!
绝对不是!我拒绝星期五13个人吃饭!
A:Ok, ok. I'll ask my sister to come. That way we'll have fourteen for dinner.
好,好。我要我妹妹也来。那样我们就有14人吃饭。
B:That's better.
那还差不多。
2025国考·省考课程试听报名